Monday, April 1, 2013



An Ode to My Coffee Mug

O! Coffee mug
You are my long true friend
You wake me up
You keep me warm

For eight long years,
We've been together
Through early morning calculus
And late night art studios

You've roadtripped 'cross the country
Topped with gas station brew
The perfect pairing
With sunchips and M&Ms

We hiked together
Long miles through snowy mountains
And you gave me a reason
To leave students unchaperoned at showers

You've traveled round the world
By boat, by plane
Through deserts, between rice paddies, across rivers
Never spilling a drop of precious coffee

Work would be impossible
Without your comforts
My hands shake in your absence
I am sad when you are empty

Now I fear that you are aging
Metal dented, bright paint peeling
But you still warm my drinks
You will always wake me up


Three Haikus (About my Coffee Mug)

My hand's perfect fit
a safety, vacuum seal lid
hot coffee won't spill

Black lid, red body
ever a coffee mug, you
change the taste of tea

I've rarely washed you
intensifying flavor
perhaps not my health

*All of this was written during Monday's morning meeting. Today, learning about the exciting topic of Indonesian income tax regulations.

No comments: